Kenya votes to quit ICC, days before deputy president’s trial

Kenya’s parliament voted on Thursday to quit the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court, but the Dutch-based tribunal said it would press ahead anyway with the trials of its president and his deputy. (from reuters.com)

Uhuru Kenyatta and William Ruto are accused of orchestrating violence after elections in 2007. About 1,200 people were killed in ethnic blood-letting that plunged east Africa’s biggest economy into crisis.

The ICC’s first trial of a sitting president is viewed as the biggest test to date for an institution that has faced mounting criticism in Kenya and across Africa, where it is accused of bias as all the suspects to date have been Africans.

Support for the process, which once had broad backing in Kenya, has been eroded since the peaceful vote in March this year that elected Kenyatta, the son of the country’s founding leader.

Parliament, dominated by the alliance that brought him to power, voted in favour of telling the government to withdraw from the ICC.

“I am setting the stage to redeem the image of the Republic of Kenya,” Aden Duale, the majority leader from Kenyatta’s Jubilee coalition, said on behalf of the motion.

Opposing him, minority leader Francis Nyenze warned: “We’ll be seen as a pariah state, we’ll be seen as people who are reactionary and who want to have their way.”

The ICC said earlier that even if Kenya voted to withdraw, its departure from the first permanent international criminal court would take at least a year and would have no effect on cases already in train.

Ruto’s trial starts on Tuesday and Kenyatta’s in November, despite Kenyan efforts to have the cases dropped or moved nearer home. Both men have attended pre-trial hearings and have said they will continue to cooperate.

Chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda said earlier on Thursday that both cases would go ahead.

Fensouda also said there had been repeated threats and bribes aimed at persuading relatives of witnesses in the cases to disclose their whereabouts.

“Witnesses have gone to great lengths to risk their lives and the lives of their relatives to support our investigations and prosecutions,” the prosecutor said in a video posted on the court’s website.

Rossi Says US Partner Could Take Over

A few months ago, Andrea Rossi and the Leonardo Corporation took a thus-far anonymous partner in the United States. With this partnership, Rossi said that Leonardo Corp is no longer a small battleship, but an aircraft carrier. (from e-catnews.net )

About a month later, it became known that the U.S. partner had all of the information that Mr. Rossi himself has – including the makeup of the still-secret catalyzer. This created a panic among those who have been following the development of the E-Cat and Hot Cat, because with all of the “snakes and clowns” around, some were afraid that the secret would surely be stolen. Mr. Rossi assured all of the readers of his blog, the Journal of Nuclear Physics, that his new partner shares his philosophy and commitment to making and marketing this amazing new form of alternative energy.

 

Once the third party reports were released, and the manufacture of the E-Cats was assured, commenters on the JONP asked Mr. Rossi if he would remain active in work with the E-Cat. Andrea Rossi assured them all that the E-Cat is an indelible part of his life, and that would remain active in the Research & Development.

 

Just recently, one commenter on the blog, Fabio82, asked Rossi:

 

“…the future of your invention is deeply connected with your person, if something bad should happens to you, is there anyone who could replace you?”

 

Rossi replied:

 

“Absolutely yes: our USA Partner has all the know how, with the industrial secrets. I am no more indispensable: just useful for the future evolution on which I am now working in the USA.”

 

The failsafe function of the U.S. partner is reassuring. As long as the technology of the E-Cat is secure, Mr. Rossi is free to develop even more adaptations of his device.